Oculus Touch is finally here, with a whole range of exclusive titles! But what does this mean for HTC Vive owners?
Oculus has recently released its in-house motion controllers, bringing 1:1 motion tracking to the Oculus Rift headset. A range of new titles has also launched alongside the tech, establishing a significant library of experiences to justify their $200 price point. However, several these titles have launched exclusively on the platform, leaving HTC Vive owners in the dust.
If you're looking to play these titles, there's now a relatively simple way to get Oculus Touch games working on the HTC Vive. The same accuracy of headset and controller tracking is offered, with the only noticeable difference being the physical controller shape. Here's how to play Oculus Touch titles on your HTC Vive without investing in a second VR headset!
Buying Oculus Touch Games
Ahead of installing the necessary tools to play games on the HTC Vive, we first recommend picking up some of your most anticipated Oculus Touch games via the Oculus Home application. Assuming you've already installed the program, a dedicated page is offered on the Oculus store which complies all the supported titles.
Before purchasing any Oculus Touch titles for your HTC Vive, there are a couple of things to look out for:
- Although a majority of titles work on the HTC Vive when using this workaround, there's a limited subset of experiences which aren't currently compatible. Make sure to check Revive's compatibility list to make sure your purchase doesn't go to waste.
- Depending on the type of experience, the usability of Oculus Touch games can vary on the HTC Vive. Due to differences in the controller designs, some experiences can be unintuitive or uncomfortable when played on the HTC Vive's controllers.
- While a relatively large number of titles already support Touch, this is still only a small portion of the existing Oculus library. To ensure a title supports the controllers, take a look at our full list of current and upcoming Oculus Touch titles!
- Oculus has also set up a range of partnerships with VR developers, giving some games timed-exclusivity on the Oculus platform. Several of the existing Touch titles already have HTC Vive release dates announced, which follow the Oculus rollout by only a few weeks. Make sure to search around in case your games have upcoming Vive releases!
After choosing the titles you wish to play, go through the checkout and install your games through the Oculus Home application.
To get Oculus Touch games working on the HTC Vive, we recommend using a third-party tool known as Revive. After an initial setup, this seamlessly integrates into SteamVR, without the need for additional tweaks when installing new titles.
- Close SteamVR.
- Download the ReVive installer via GitHub.
- Click the downloaded file at the bottom of your browser.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the Revive installation.
For more information on Revive, make sure to take a look at our in-depth guide!
Start Oculus Touch games via Revive
After completing the Revive installation, Oculus Touch games can now be played via the SteamVR menu. All buttons of the Oculus Touch controllers will be automatically remapped to a somewhat intuitive layout.
- Open the SteamVR menu on the HTC Vive.
- Select the Revive tab at the bottom of the menu.
- Click on any of the listed titles to start playing it on your HTC Vive.
And with that, Oculus games should now work on your HTC Vive! Have you played any Oculus Touch titles with your HTC Vive headset? Do you think this is a valid alternative to the Oculus Rift? Make sure to let us know in the comments!