It's not great, but it's something.
No Man's Sky, despite all its faults, could still be an amazing VR experience. Zipping from one planet to another, taking off and landing, and running around using your jetpack to boost you is a whole other experience when you have a head-mounted display strapped on.
The game in VR using VorpX and either the Vive or the Rift is nowhere near ideal, but you can at least get a sense of what true VR optimization could look like. At this point, seeing the HUD at the corners of the screen is pretty much impossible unless you zoom way out — which destroys the immersion aspect — and the choppiness of the game itself doesn't translate well to VR. I'm not one who usually feels nauseous in VR, but here I definitely did after about five minutes. Hopefully the game will be further optimized so that at least a lengthy test can be performed.
Nevertheless, here's one way to set things up in No Man's Sky and VorpX based on YouTube user Hoopermation VR's setup. Fair warning: the end result isn't ideal.
- Setting up VorpX
- Change No Man's Sky in-game settings
- How to configure a No Man's Sky profile in VorpX
- Change VorpX in-game settings
Setting up VorpX
We already have a great guide written on what VorpX is, where you can get it, and how you can set it up.
The VorpX forums are also a wealth of information and troubleshooting help. Check it out if you run into problems getting things set up.
Change No Man's Sky in-game settings
- Hit Esc on your keyboard.
- Click Graphics in the top right corner.
Click the right arrow beneath Window Mode so that it sets to Borderless.
- Click the right arrow beneath V-Sync so that it sets to Off.
Click the right arrow beneath On-Foot Field of View so that FOV sets to 100.
- Click the right arrow beneath Flight field of View so that FOV sets to 100.
Click the right arrow beneath Max FPS so that FPS sets to Max.
You must close No Man's Sky in order for these settings changes to take hold. Do not re-launch No Man's Sky just yet.
How to configure a No Man's Sky profile in VorpX
- Launch VorpX config from your Start menu or desktop.
- Click Cloud Profiles.
Click the Game/App field.
- Type DOOM. A list of results should show up, but you might have to create a VorpX account if you haven't already.
Click DOOM [SorryAboutYourCats].
- Click Import profile.
- Click Local Profiles.
Click DOOM. You might have to scroll down a bit.
- Click Create a new profile based on this one.
Type No Man's Sky in the Profile Name field.
- Click OK.
- Navigate to your SteamApps\common folder.
Double-click the No Man's Sky folder.
- Double-click Binaries.
Double-click the NMS application.
- Click Apply & Close.
Right-click the VorpX button in your system tray.
- Click Pause Watcher.
Launch SteamVR from your Start menu or desktop.
- Right-click the VorpX button in your system tray.
Click Resume watcher.
You now have to set some properties within Steam:
- Launch your Steam Library window from your Start menu or desktop.
Right-click No Man's Sky.
- Click Properties.
Click Enable the Steam Overlay while in-game so that the checkmark disappears.
- Click Use Desktop Game Theater while SteamVR is active so that the checkmark disappears.
- Click Play to launch No Man's Sky.
Change VorpX in-game settings
- Hit Del on your keyboard once No Man's Sky loads. This will open the in-game VorpX menu.
- Navigate to the Main Settings menu using your keyboard directional keys.
Change 3D Reconstruction to Geometry.
- Change Separation (3D-Strength) to 0.01.
Navigate to OK & Save and hit Enter on your keyboard.
These settings will not deliver anywhere near the immersion expected from native VR games, and may in fact make you sick. Mess around with the settings yourself to see if you can get something better working.
Like we said, VR is possible in No Man's Sky, but it's at a stage right now that only the most devoted VR heads will dare play at length. It's fun to test out, but that's about it.
Here's to hoping we get native VR support for No Man's Sky sometime soon.
Did you come up with a killer settings profile? Let us know in the comments section below!