SteamVR Home is one of the latest additions to SteamVR, which adds a new layer of social interaction and personality to the platform. While SteamVR previously greeted users with a bland and limited home screen, Home expands this to be an expansive and connected experience to share with friends.
One of the biggest changes from the original SteamVR experience is the introduction of deeper environments. Although room-scale environments were previously possible, they lacked support for open areas, animations, and sound. Now, SteamVR Home allows for dynamic, high-resolution spaces, which can serve as a playing ground for its new social features. Here's how to get started with customizing your own environment in SteamVR Home today.
Enroll in the SteamVR beta
If you're not already a SteamVR Home user, you'll first need to enroll into the ongoing SteamVR beta. This version of the platform is where you'll see in progress features and tweaks ahead of their public rollout. Any Steam users enroll with the beta today and instantly get early access to these upcoming features. These are the steps to enroll your Steam account in the beta program.
- Open Steam.
- Navigate to Library > Tools via the top navigation bar.
- Right-click on SteamVR from the Tools list.
- Select Properties.
- Navigate to the BETAS tab.
- Choose beta – SteamVR Beta update from the drop-down box.
After accepting the changes, you'll be entered into the SteamVR beta. Once joined, your Steam client should automatically begin downloading a few hundred megabytes of files. Subsequently, you'll be ready to jump into your first SteamVR home experience.
Note: As a piece of software still in development, you may experience some minor issues when using the SteamVR beta. If you experience any problems with SteamVR, you may need to revert to the public release.
Changing your SteamVR Home environment with Steam Workshop
Once inside SteamVR Home, you can tweak the surroundings to your liking. To access new environments, we recommend the "Steam Workshop" – an integrated service to download community-created content for no additional cost. From here, you'll be able to filter through the available options. Follow the steps below to download content from the Steam Workshop from within SteamVR Home.
- Press the Menu button from SteamVR Home
- Navigate to the Environments section.
- Switch to the Get More tab at the top of the screen.
- Use drop-down box on the top right-hand side for more advanced searching filters.
- Select Subscribe to begin downloading an environment.
Depending on your Steam preferences, your SteamVR Home content may not download from the Workshop while virtual reality is running. If the loading bars for this content hang, check Steam > Settings > Download > Allow downloads during gameplay from the desktop version of Steam.
After downloading a new content, you'll have to manually switch your environment for changes to be applied.
- Navigate back to the Environments section.
- Select the Environments tab from the top of the menu.
- Click the room you plan to enter.
- Choose Host a Room when planning to invite friends, or Visit On My Own to start a solo session.
After confirming your selection, your background should change to reflect your choice. Have you been using SteamVR Home? Have any extra tips to share? Let us know in the comments section.
We may earn a commission for purchases using our links. Learn more.