While the HTC Vive's potential is best shown when using full room-scale movement, not everyone meets the minimum space requirement of 1.5m x 2m. This is where the headset's Standing Only experiences come in useful, by offering full body virtual reality experiences within smaller play space.
If you choose to set up your headset using Standing Only, you'll still gain access to a huge range of titles within SteamVR. They might not be as outstanding as their room-scale equivalents, but they still provide immersive experiences with the same precise tracking. You'll also be able to use any Seated experiences without changing your room calibration.
But how do you set up a Standing Only experience with the HTC Vive? Here's what you need to know!
Run Room Setup
To correctly set up your HTC Vive for standing use only, you'll first have to run SteamVR's Room setup wizard. This can be found on the SteamVR desktop application, using the steps below.
- Open SteamVR.
- Open the drop-down menu from SteamVR desktop client.
- Select Run Room Setup.
- Choose Standing Only.
Calibrate the center of your play space
After choosing 'Standing Only' in the room setup wizard, you'll have to locate your HTC Vive to establish accurate tracking.
- Keep your headset in view of the HTC Vive's base stations. After being successfully tracked, click the Next button.
- Move your headset to the center of your play space and rotate the headset in the direction you want as the default front-facing position.
- Click Calibrate Center when positioned correctly.
Calibrate the height of your HTC Vive
Unlike room-scale experiences which require more advanced floor calibration, standing only requires a measurement from the headset to the floor. Make sure to grab a tape measure for the most accurate reading!
- Place your HTC Vive on a stable surface, such as a desk, table or cabinet.
- In order to calibrate HTC Vive's height, measure the distance between your headset and the floor. When entering the height, make sure to keep the HTC Vive still until you've clicked Calibrate Floor.
Note: If both your HTC Vive base stations can see your floor, the headset can also be placed on the floor with a '0cm' measurement between the headset and the stable surface.
And with that, your standing experience should be complete! Have any questions about the setup process? Make sure to leave them in the comments section!