Early last year, HTC debuted its first virtual reality headset, the HTC Vive. With the intention of providing high-quality experiences to the masses, the headset has emerged as a consumer favorite as of late.
Whether you're just starting out with the platform or been rocking a headset since launch, we've compiled the best tips and tricks to take your experience that extra bit forward. From buyer's guides, tutorials and troubleshooting, we're sure to cover your needs!
Meet the HTC Vive
While HTC has previously targeted its efforts towards phones and mobile devices, the HTC Vive is a step away from the company's well-established roots. The HTC Vive is the firm's first attempt at a virtual reality headset, which combines existing desktop VR with room-scale motion. This gives players a full-body experience, providing one-to-one tracking of the headset and two controllers. Unlike cheaper VR alternatives, the HTC Vive sits among the most premium of virtual reality experiences.
If you're new to the HTC Vive, this is where you should start! From the obtaining a VR headset to warnings for potential buyers, here's what you need to know!
What you need to know about the Vive
- Everything you need to know about the HTC Vive
- Where to buy the HTC Vive
- What is the total cost of an HTC Vive?
- Everything you need to know about Viveport
- Everything you need to know about Viveport Subscriptions
- Everything we know about the Vive Tracker
- Here's what you need in your PC to run VR
Getting to know virtual reality
- What should you ask for when demoing VR?
- Where to buy a used VR headset
- How long in VR is too long?
- Kids can use VR, but be careful!
- Here's what you need to know about wireless VR
- Here's what you need to know about eye-tracking and the HTC Vive
- Exploring portability with room-scale VR
- VR and your privacy: how are these companies treating your data?
- HTC Vive is a life-changing product for people with mobility issues
If you've got your hands on the HTC Vive, it's time to get it set up! While the included quick-start guide will help you jump straight into virtual reality, it manages to gloss over a few aspects of more advanced setup. From headset adjustments to base station mounting, the HTC Vive is best when tailored to you and your surroundings.
If you're looking to fine tune your HTC Vive setup for the best possible experience, look no further!
- Set up your HTC Vive without drilling holes
- The least painful way to set up HTC Vive Lighthouses!
- How to correctly adjust your lens spacing on the HTC Vive
- How to get the best fit for your HTC Vive
- How to pair your HTC Vive controllers
- How to get started with SteamVR
SteamVR is an extension of the Steam platform – a digital games distribution service that has emerged to be a central hub for PC gaming.With the launch of the HTC Vive, HTC and Valve have come together to create a similar platform for virtual reality. This gives the HTC Vive a consistent library and storefront, simplifying virtual reality into a more user-friendly experience. SteamVR also introduces dozens of new features for the headset, which aim to make your VR experience just that extra bit more enjoyable.
To a closer look into what Steam VR offers, follow the links below!
- How to pair your phone with the HTC Vive
- How to follow unreleased games on Steam
- Using SteamVR's 'Knock Knock' feature with the HTC Vive
- Get the most out of the camera on your HTC Vive
- How to reduce the brightness of your HTC Vive display
- Avoid motion sickness in VR with comfort ratings!
- Here are 4 things you need to try in SteamVR Home
- How to create an avatar in SteamVR Home
- How to change environments in SteamVR Home
- How to unlock new props via Quests in SteamVR Home
- Tips and tricks to avoid stepping on your VR cables
- Setting up your VR space so you can live in it
- How to wirelessly power down your HTC Vive base stations
- How to customize the HTC Vive's Chaperone with SteamVR
- How to set custom backgrounds on the HTC Vive
- How to apply skins to your HTC Vive base stations
- How to apply skins to your HTC Vive controllers
There are currently hundreds of games available for the HTC Vive via the SteamVR platform. From smaller tech demos to full-fledged titles, there's an ever-growing range of titles for fans of any genre. If you're stuck when it comes to picking some interesting titles, we've brought together the best games and apps currently available for the HTC Vive!
- Five must-have games for your HTC Vive
- Best 'Standing Room Only' games for HTC Vive
- Best 'Room-Scale' games for the HTC Vive
- Best games for demoing your HTC Vive!
- Best shooters for VR
- Best horror games for VR
- Best racing games for VR
- Best RPGs for the HTC Vive
- Best strategy games for the HTC Vive
- Best multiplayer games for VR
- Best party games for the HTC Vive
- Best experiences for kids for the HTC Vive
- Best VR apps for exercise
- Best HTC Vive games for a cardio workout
- Best gamepad games for the HTC Vive
- Best Early Access VR games on Steam
- Best weird games you can play in VR
- Best VR games for teleportation
- Best VR games that don't rely on teleportation
- Best adult apps in VR
- Best apps for watching 360-degree videos
While the HTC Vive includes all the items you need to play most virtual reality title, there's also a growing market for additional accessories. From standard game controllers to dedicated peripherals, there's a varied range of add-ons available which each add their own unique flairs to VR experiences.
Make sure to take a look at our top accessories below!
HTC Vive headset accessories
- HTC Vive accessory guide
- HTC Vive Deluxe Audio Strap: Should you buy it?
- How to install the Deluxe Audio Strap on your HTC Vive
- How to get the perfect fit with the HTC Vive Deluxe Audio Strap
- How to get the new HTC Vive 3-in-1 cable
- Is the TPCast wireless kit for HTC Vive worth it?
- How to put prescription lenses in your VR headset
- 5 Great Foam Cushion Replacements for HTC Vive
- Check out these amazing HTC Vive mods!
Controllers and audio
- 5 improvements we're excited to see from Valve's 'Knuckles' controllers
- How to use Xbox One and PlayStation 4 controllers for VR on your Windows PC
- Using HOTAS controllers in VR is beyond amazing!
- Exploring Fallout 4's wasteland with the Wizdish ROVR treadmill
- Best headphones for HTC Vive
Best PCs for VR
While the HTC Vive is arguably one of the best virtual reality experiences to date, anyone who owns one will admit they're not perfect. With the headset having launched last year alongside the SteamVR platform, there are still a number of small hitches that users face on a daily basis.
We've brought together some of the most common issues that can affect today's HTC Vive users and the fixes to complement them!
- How to fix an undetected or unresponsive HTC Vive headset
- How to fix black screen issues with the HTC Vive
- Here's what all of the HTC Vive's LED states mean
- How to fix audio issues with the HTC Vive
- How to prevent lens fog with any VR headset
Base station issues
- How to solve tracking issues with the HTC Vive
- How to fix sync issues with the HTC Vive base stations
- How to fix startup issues with SteamVR
- Here's a breakdown of common SteamVR error codes
- How to fix error 208 with driver uninstall issue
After laying down the cash for a high-end PC and an HTC Vive, it's likely you're looking to get as much value from your purchase. If you're looking for new ways to improve your virtual reality sessions, we've brought together various tips for all virtual reality users.
From portability, optimization or general care, here's what you need to try to enhance your experience!
Playing non-HTC Vive games
- How to play Oculus Rift games on the HTC Vive
- How to play Oculus Touch games on the HTC Vive
- Oculus Touch and SteamVR go together great!
- Can you play non-VR PC games on Rift or Vive?
- How to mount your Rift sensor with your Vive Lighthouse
- How to play Robo Recall on your HTC Vive
- How to use WebVR in Firefox with HTC Vive
- Jump into virtual reality with a friend with these WebVR-enabled experiments
- How to get a crystal-clear image from your HTC Vive
- What is asynchronous reprojection and how do I use it?
- How to ensure the best VR performance from your PC
- Which graphics card do you need for VR?
- Can I use both of my graphics cards with VR?
- Do multiple monitors affect VR gaming performance?
- How to easily record your HTC Vive gameplay
- How to take screenshots in the HTC Vive using SteamVR
- You can now record true VR gameplay with VRCapture!
Caring for your headset
- How to clean your HTC Vive
- How to travel with your HTC Vive
- How to take care of your HTC Vive controllers
- Five tips to get the most out of your HTC Vive!
- How to get the best deal when selling your VR headset
What would you like to know?
Considering an HTC Vive? Wanting some help with your headset? Make sure to reach out to us in the comments!
Updated November 1, 2017: Updated with all the latest HTC Vive tips and tricks!
We may earn a commission for purchases using our links. Learn more.