Ryan Ostendorf tried out The Brookhaven Experiment, his first ever trip in an HTC Vive this weekend, and this was his immediate response. In the year and change that I've been actively using VR hardware, I can safely say the best part of exploring these experiences has been sharing with others. It doesn't matter if I'm sharing with someone who doesn't play video games at all or someone who can crush me repeatedly in Halo with their insanely twitchy reflexes, the reactions have been universal. Seeing the wonder, joy, elated exhaustion, and occasional terror cross the faces of everyone inside of the headset is fantastic, and it's a big part of why this site exists.
I want VRHeads to be there when someone has an incredible idea in VR and they want to share it, or when someone has experienced VR for the first time at a friend's house and now absolutely must have their own setup. This is going to be the place where those things people together and create conversations, decide which setup is right for them, and start inviting people over to have their first experiences.
Week one is officially in the books, and already there's an incredible amount of excitement for this site. We couldn't be happier to have you all here, and the reception across the forums, comments, and social networks has been incredible. Before we get started on week two, here's a couple of quick thoughts.
- I love capturing things with 360 cameras. This shot was taken with an LG CAM 360, which isn't the sharpest photo you can take in this format but LG seems to be improving the overall experience with each update.
- Everything about VRHeads is a test right now, which makes your feedback immensely important. If you love something, tell us! If you hate something, tell us twice! I promise I'm listening and constantly tweaking until this site has a tone and feel that we're all mostly happy with.
- Perfect example — our recently added AR section in the forums. Totally dropped the ball there at launch, and we got called on it. Augmented Reality is so important, and we're going to be talking about it a lot.
- If you aren't already, absolutely start paying attention to our Facebook and Instagram pages. We're going to be doing a lot of live video and sharing snippets of fun things we find in VR, and those two places will be where it happens first. I think we're going to be doing a live GTX 1080 install and HTC Vive setup later this week, among other exciting things!
- We're still running our contest to give away a Vive and an ASUS gaming desktop. If you aren't signed up for that, I honestly don't know what to tell you.
- Yes, I stole this format from my Android Central boss. Phil doesn't mind, I hope.